Handle foreign character web input

Thomas Jollans tjol at tjol.eu
Sat Jun 29 03:19:14 EDT 2019

On 28/06/2019 22:25, Tobiah wrote:
> A guy comes in and enters his last name as RÖnngren.
With a capital Ö in the middle? That's unusual.

> So what did the browser really give me; is it encoded
> in some way, like latin-1?  Does it depend on whether
> the name was cut and pasted from a Word doc. etc?
> Should I handle these internally as unicode?  Right
> now my database tables are latin-1 and things seem
> to usually work, but not always.

If your database is using latin-1, German and French names will work,
but Croatian and Polish names often won't. Not to mention people using
other writing systems.

So Günther and François are ok, but Bolesław turns into Boles?aw and
don't even think about anybody called Владимир or محمد.