Final statement from Steering Council on politically-charged commit messages

rmlibre at riseup.net rmlibre at riseup.net
Tue Aug 18 19:34:23 EDT 2020

There are many reasons Elements is a terrible English style guide:
https://www.pure.ed.ac.uk/ws/files/8520953/PULLUM_2010_The_land_of_the_free_and_the_elements_of_style.pdf

I would kindly recommend that folks just educate themselves on what
white supremacy is & how it continues in both subtle & overt ways to
this day. Sadly, getting extremely upset after being exposed to the
accurate term white supremacy is a symptom of what's called 'white
fragility' by psychologists who study the social pathologies of racism &
its long-lasting, inter-generational impacts on society.

You need serious help with processing your anger if you look at
everything that's happening in the world & bubble in anger over a commit
message that is simply acknowledging a social ill. One of countless
many. I do hope you get the help you need.

I would also caution against relying on the idea of human rights when
defending against accusations of being political, since they too are
political. Life is political. We continue to this day trying to
redefine, as a society, what human rights are, & who is considered to
deserve them. That process is politics.

Some people think that being called white is racist. Other people think
that having their land & children stolen because of their race & being
forced to write in the language of their captors is racist. One group is
deflecting blame for the worst atrocities in history, the other is
acknowledging a real problem & seeking accountability in everyday life.

Resources:
  A People's History of the United States:
https://mvlindsey.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/peoples-history-zinn-1980.pdf
  The Invention of the White Race: Volume II:
http://ouleft.org/wp-content/uploads/Invention-White-Race-Vol2-Allen.pdf