[RELEASED] Python 3.5.10rc1 is released

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Fri Aug 21 23:23:37 EDT 2020

On behalf of the Python development community, I'm pleased to finally
announce the availability of Python 3.5.10rc1.

Python 3.5 is in "security fixes only" mode.  This new version only
contains security fixes, not conventional bug fixes, and it is a
source-only release.

Important Notice: The latest releases of Linux (Ubuntu 20.04, Fedora 32)
ship with a new version of OpenSSL.  New versions of OpenSSL often
include upgraded configuration requirements to maintain network
security; this new version no longer finds Python 3.5's OpenSSL
configuration acceptable.  As a result, most or all secure-transport
networking libraries are broken in this release on systems where this
new version of OpenSSL is deployed.  This means, for example, that seven
(7) of the regression tests in the test suite now regularly fail.  Older
versions of Linux, with older versions of OpenSSL installed, are
unaffected.  We're aware of the problem.  Unfortunately, as 3.5 is
nearly completely out of support, it has become very low priority, and
we've been unable to find the resources to get the problem fixed.  It's
possible that these problems simply won't be fixed in 3.5 before it
reaches its end-of-life.  As always we recommend upgrading to the latest
Python release wherever possible.

You can find Python 3.5.10rc1 here:

    https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-3510rc1/

Cheers,