Please help test astral char display in tkinter Text (especially *nix)

Anssi Saari as at sci.fi
Fri Nov 6 02:37:27 EST 2020

Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> writes:

> Perhaps half of the assigned chars in the first plane are printed
> instead of being replaced with a narrow box. This includes emoticons
> as foreground color outlines on background color.  Maybe all of the
> second plane of extended CJK chars are printed.  The third plane is
> unassigned and prints as unassigned boxes (with an X).

I get the same as Menno Holscher (i.e. messages with "character is above
the range blah blah") in Debian 10 with the system provided Python
3.7.3. Tcl and tk are 8.6.9.

With Python 3.9.0 I get something like what you described above. Some
chars print, lots of empty boxes too and lots of just empty space. No
boxes with an X and no errors.