Horrible abuse of __init_subclass__, or elegant hack?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 17:13:00 EDT 2021

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 7:52 AM David L Neil via Python-list
<python-list at python.org> wrote:

> Officially April-Fools Day is over (here), but...

This wasn't a prank post, although it was intended to give amusement
rather than real education or debate or anything. So there's nothing
wrong with keeping it going. :)

> On 01/04/2021 19.25, Chris Angelico wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 1, 2021 at 3:36 PM dn via Python-list
> > <python-list at python.org> wrote:

> >> In which dimension(s)?
> >
> > Cartesian.
>
> Isn't this water you get out of the ground and then deliver using an
> horse-pulled vehicle?

Yes. Also, this is the guy who said "I think not" and promptly
vanished from the world.

(For those not familiar, the Cartesian coordinate system or the
Cartesian plane is what you'd normally use for graphing a mathematical
function. You can label the axes as "x" and "y" to graph something
like "y = sin(x)", or you can label them as "real" and "imaginary" and
use it to depict complex numbers. Though David's response has the
elegance of true *art*, if you examine the words carefully.)

> > Perhaps, but the key here is the input method. It wouldn't look nearly as clean.
>
> Not sure about that. For example, is it immediately-obvious which of
> "Crude", "Residue", and "Plastic" are inputs; and which outputs?

Well, it's a simple matter of chronology. First you have crude oil,
then time passes, and then you have plastic and residue. It makes
sense ONLY if you think of it with a specific ordering, which implies
Python 3.7 or later.

> >> Noted you on the list of lauded alumni at the latter.
> >
> > Hmm, where do you see that list? I'm curious.
>
> Appeared to be some sort of 'leader board' for the game. Recognised your
> handle there. Think it was https://www.twitch.tv/maayainsane. Perhaps I
> was looking at the same time as you logged-in? Daren't disappear down
> that rabbit-hole again...

Makes sense. I'm very active there, you'll see me chatting a good bit
during her streams. I'm not sure what leaderboard you were seeing, but
it's probably something involving recent financial support (she's a
highly competent digital artist and absolutely deserves the support).

> >> The latter's treatment list sounds remarkably like .mil training. I know
> >> of plenty with that t-shirt - but can't think of a one sporting a mug...
> >> Should you have one, kindly bring it (with appropriate contents) come
> >> ANZAC Day at the end of this month...
> >
> > https://streamlabs.com/maayainsane/merch/1053635
> > This is what I'd bring. They're the standard mugs that I offer to
> > guests. Well, I would if ever I had guests, but hermitism is a
> > thing...
>
> Is that the same as (anti-) club-ism
> (cue Groucho:
> https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/6517787-i-wouldn-t-want-to-belong-to-a-club-that-would)
>
> After suffering the RSA's ?quaint tradition of rum-in-milk (that BEFORE
> Dawn Parade, and thereafter marching on a less-than flat surface) I have
> learned to guard against the pre-dawn cold by heading for the Hot
> Chocolate counter - can't say the mugs look like that though.

Hot chocolate? Ahh, now, that's the other thing I drink a lot of. I
even have a dedicated mug with a Cadbury logo on it. Sadly, not easily
purchasable, but this one was a gift from a family member who knows
full well that I have my priorities straight.

> >> Magic, you ask? Well, maybe more "sinister". We did manage to find a
> >> loose floor-board, but a sad life-lesson was learned, when certain ones
> >> (un-named*) took it upon themselves to eat all of the contraband
> >> secreted there.
> >
> > Uh oh. How old was the contraband?
>
> Was between 'tuck days' (when we were allowed to acquire such goodies -
> once?twice per week). The theory being that we would all contribute, in
> anticipation of some later "midnight feast") - such gyre and gimble-ing
> being more Jabberwock than Alice!

Ah, I see. So you'd get some tucker, and tuck it away for later, but
the whole scheme came... unstuck.

ChrisA