get_axes not present?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 10:09:51 EST 2021

On 11/19/21 10:38 AM, Mahmood Naderan wrote:
>> And what is the result of plot()?  Is it a valid object, or is it None?
>
> Well the error happens on the plot() line. I tried to print some information like this:
> <snipped incomplete code>
> Any thoughts on that?

It's not really possible for us to know what is happening since none of
us are in front of your computer with your code in front of us.  I
cannot run any of your posted code excerpts.  The best way to get
assistance here on the list is to create a minimal, self-contained,
run-able, example program that you can post in its entirety here that
demonstrates the issue. Otherwise all anyone can do is make guesses.

Did you read through the exception message?  It is providing a lot of
information. The message is saying that matplotlib is trying to call
.get_figure() on a self.axes list item, but that is not a valid object,
but is None. The question is, why is that list full of Nones?  Farther
up the traceback it notes that on line 66 of process_csv.py, you make a
call to plot_data() passing it the axes. Perhaps there's something wrong
with the axes object or list you are passing in there.  Did you print
that out to make sure that df, cnt, and axes all contain valid things?

All I can tell you is to use the standard debugging techniques you would
use for any problem.  Use either a debugger or print()'s to print out
the contents and types of each variable to verify they contain the data
you think they do.  If you have nested function calls, break them out
separately so you can examine the inputs and outputs of each of them.
If necessary, trace your way through the matplotlib code, but almost
certainly you'll find the problem is in bad data you are passing to
matplotlib.