New assignmens ...

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 18:24:45 EDT 2021

On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 9:19 AM dn via Python-list
<python-list at python.org> wrote:
> Back on-topic, I am slightly curious:-
>
> aside from 'starting small' with an option to widen/'open-up' later, is
> there a particular reason why 'the walrus' has not been made available
> (could not be ...?) for use with object-attributes?

I can't think of any other reasons. But the one you cite is quite an
important one. In order to get real-world usage examples, the feature
was rolled out in the restricted form, because threads like this are
*exactly* how the value can be judged. So I do not in any way regret
that assignment expressions were accepted in their current form, but
also, don't be afraid to propose an opening up of the syntax. Be
specific, and cite usage examples that would benefit.

TBH, I don't think there's a lot of value in multiple-assignment,
since it has a number of annoying conflicts of syntax and few viable
use-cases. But if you have great examples of "x.y :=" or "x[y] :=",
then by all means, post on python-ideas to propose widening the scope.

ChrisA