python 3.10 vs breakage

gene heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sat Aug 27 01:55:24 EDT 2022

On 8/26/22 21:35, Michael Torrie wrote:
> On 8/26/22 14:37, gene heskett wrote:
>> Greetings all;
>>
>> Its now become obvious that 3.10 has broken some things. I can't build
>> linuxcnc with it. And
>> Octoprint has quit talking to 3d printers, now pronterface won't buy it,
>> can't find a 4.0.7
>> version of wxPython with it sitting there staring at us.
> I have Fedora 35 here, nearing it's end of life. It has Python 3.10.6,
> and wxPython 4.0.7.  I installed Pronterface 2.0.0 from the Fedora repos
> and it runs fine as near as I can tell.  So there's no inherent
> incompatibility with Python 3.10 and wxPython 4.0.7.
>
>> Whats chances of a fixed version for bookworm? Or even a bugs fixed
>> release for bullseye?
> Seems like it is a distro-specific problem; I cannot replicate your
> error with pronterface on Fedora 35.
>
> I have no idea why octoprint won't work.
This is good to know as it helps to narrow down the battlefield.

Octoprint now gets stuck claiming the printer is continuously requesting
a repeat of line one,
but It works fine if the gcode file is put on its sd card and printed
from the printers menu.

Octoprint is supposed to be able to handle more than one printer, but
this change occurred after
I had plugged in another printer and tried to add it. It was working
great with a prusa mk3S+.

And I'm trying to resurrect an Ender 5 Plus that has forgotten how to
use any of the 3 BLTouch's
I have. So I've replaced the head with a volcano version of an E3D-V6
and have a prox switch
with the wrong logic output mounted in place of the BLTouch. It seems
amazon is not immune to
ID10T vendors. I ordered npn-no's and got pnp-nc's. Even the label on
the devices cable is wrong.

The head replacement includes an Orbiter V2 extruder sitting on top of
the volcano, with me
designing and printing the adapters. but still with the long capricorn
tube feed to
absorb the jerking on the feed spool the mk3s+ does. Even with the much
improved grip a bondtech
LGX extruder on the mk3s+ gives, I can still see artifacts of the spool
jerk as it runs left/right
in the print.

Vertical flex in the head transport suspension rods I believe. So I've
eliminated that
geometry error on the Ender 5 plus by interposing a fixed length of
tubing so it doesn't
jerk on the spool as the head moves.

The Dell with an i5 in it had its video out nullified by some noisy
weather 20 days back,
so I pulled out a 5 amp 5 volt box and hung a rock64/w/4gigs on it to
run octoprint on, but
it quit working on the mk3s+ when I plugged in the Ender. I'll probably
have to re-install
it all. Easy enough since I have armbian bullseye's img file here.

The target of all this is production of a woodworking tool using modern
cnc wood carving and
3d printing, of a device I see selling in the 3 digit price range on
ebay that you'll hand
down to your great grandkids if they are interested in fine woodworking
as a means to buy
groceries, good housing and nice wheels.  At my age, I'm that great
great grandpa. Looking to
supplement my SS in my dotage. A retired broadcast engineer, a C.E.T.,
approaching the end
of my time here as I look at the calendar and see my 88th coming up
shortly. I'd like to
leave something useful behind. It will take at least 2 working printers
to keep up with the
output of one of my milling machines if sales materialize. 3d printers
are not fast. A screw
I can carve in 2 days, takes about 2 weeks to print the rest of it.
Production, 20 a year, maybe.

Thanks everybody.  Take care and stay well.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
  - Louis D. Brandeis