Fwd: Installation hell

Jim Lewis jimdaniellewis at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 06:50:10 EST 2022

I'm an occasional user of Python and have a degree in computer science.
Almost every freaking time I use Python, I go through PSH (Python Setup
Hell). Sometimes a wrong version is installed. Sometimes it's a path issue.
Or exe naming confusion: python, python3, phthon311, etc. Or library
compatibility issues - took an hour to find out that pygame does not work
with the current version of python. Then the kludgy PIP app and using a DOS
box under Windows with command prompts which is ridiculous. God only knows
how many novice users of the language (or even intermediate users) were
lost in the setup process. Why not clean the infrastructure up and make a
modern environment or IDE or something better than it is now. Or at least
good error messages that explain exactly what to do. Even getting this
email to the list took numerous steps.

-- A frustrated user