Waht do you think about my repeated_timer class

Cecil Westerhof Cecil at decebal.nl
Wed Feb 2 22:58:01 EST 2022

>> > (Side point: The OP's code is quite inefficient, as it creates a new
>> > thread for each reiteration, but there's nothing wrong with that if
>> > you're looking for something simple.)
>>
>> It is just something I wrote fast. How could I do this in a better way?
>
> I'll answer your question, but first and foremost: Your code was fine,
> and if something does what it's supposed to, that is the most
> important. Everything else is minor.

I like to write efficient code and it never hurts to write better code
as just doing what it is supposed to do. ;-)

And in my case interval is .5 seconds and when someone is going to use
it with an even smaller interval …

> But for other ways to do things, I would recommend creating a single
> thread function and spawning a single thread to run it, and then
> having that function call the target every N seconds. Also, consider

Have to be careful that timing keeps correct when target takes a 'lot'
of time.
Something to ponder about, but can wait.

> subclassing Thread rather than subclassing object (which, btw, is the
> default; you don't need to say "class X(object)"), which will
> automatically give your object all the methods of a timer.

Of-course. I should have thought about that. :'-(

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer