Behavior of the for-else construct

Dennis Lee Bieber wlfraed at ix.netcom.com
Fri Mar 4 11:14:29 EST 2022

On Fri, 4 Mar 2022 08:38:52 -0600, Tim Chase
<python.list at tim.thechases.com> declaimed the following:

>DOS didn't allow space (0x20) in filenames unless you hacked it by
>hex-editing your filesystem (which I may have done a couple times).
>However it did allow you to use 0xFF in filenames which *appeared* as
>a space in most character-sets.
>
>I may have caused a mild bit of consternation in school computer labs
>doing this. ;-)

	Xerox CP/V actually allowed <BEL> to be embedded in file names...

	Try to tell the difference between

a<BEL>file		and
afi<BEL>le

when doing a directory listing.

{Though the BASIC interpreter gave it away -- doing a directory from within
the interpreter resulted in a hex representation of names with non-graphic
characters... In EBCDIC of course}

	wlfraed at ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/