Difficulty in installing Python

Dennis Lee Bieber wlfraed at ix.netcom.com
Wed Mar 23 09:28:57 EDT 2022

On Tue, 22 Mar 2022 19:20:55 +0530, Reuel Lewis <reuels.life at gmail.com>
declaimed the following:

>I'm trying to install Python as I'd like to learn it. I'm a newbie in all
>things related to software programming.

	Nothing programming related with your problem...

>I have Windows 10 installed on my HP laptop. I tried to install Python but
>I didn't Click on the 'Add python 3.10 to path'. So I tried to uninstall it
>and install Python once more. But I only get options like Modify / Repair.
>If I click on either of those options it does the Modify / Repair thing and
>then I just see the 'Close' button. It does not go anywhere else from
>there.

	The Python interpreter (what you use to run Python programs) is NOT the
Python installer (what you use to make Python available). Once you've
installed Python -- hide the installer! It is only used to, well,
modify/repair/uninstall Python.

	Python, by itself, is not an IDE (it is not something like Visual
Studio, FreePascal's Lazarus, et al.). It is just a command-line
interpreter.

>So what should I do to start this program so I can start learning? Thank
>you and stay safe always.

	Well, if you'd added it to the PATH, you'd open a command shell, and
provide a script file to the interpreter (if you don't provide a script
file, you'd end up in the interactive interpreter prompt -- <ctrl-z> to
exit)

-=-=-
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19041.1415]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Wulfraed>python
Python ActivePython 3.8.2 (ActiveState Software Inc.) based on
 on win32

C:\Users\Wulfraed>
-=-=-

	Recent versions of Python install a generic launcher on Windows named
"py", which is supposed to reduce the need to track/update the PATH
variable... but for me... I found too many other packages were installing
Python interpreters which hijacked the version "py" defaulted to running.

	Most versions of Python also install a Tkinter script called IDLE which
provides a rudimentary IDE capability.

	wlfraed at ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/