Find the path of a shell command

Albert-Jan Roskam sjeik_appie at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 14 13:57:45 EDT 2022

   On Oct 14, 2022 18:19, "Peter J. Holzer" <hjp-python at hjp.at> wrote:

     On 2022-10-14 07:40:14 -0700, Dan Stromberg wrote:
     > Alternatively, you can "ps axfwwe" (on Linux) to see environment
     > variables, and check what the environment of cron (or similar) is.  It
     > is this environment (mostly) that cronjobs will inherit.

     The simplest (and IMHO also most reliable) way to find out the
     environment a cronjob has is to write a cronjob which just dumps the
     environment.

   =====
   Lately I've been using systemd timers instead of cronjobs. They are easier
   to debug (journalctl) but require a bit more work to write. Systemd is
   available on Fedora & friends and Debian based systems, maybe more. It has
   no builtin MAILTO. I use an OnFailure stanza to send a Slack message with
   curl instead.
   https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.timer.html
   https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/278564/cron-vs-systemd-timers