[Python-mode] evil underscore as word

skip@pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Tue Dec 6 18:01:35 CET 2005

    Ben> btw is anyone maintaining python-mode?

    Stephen> Yes.

I am officially the maintainer, though I have dropped the ball fairly
badly.  I asked the other day about the magic necessary to do a new release,
but haven't done that yet.

    Ben>   (modify-syntax-entry ?\_ "w"  py-mode-syntax-table)

    Ben> imho it is *not* acceptable to have a random deviation like
    Ben> this.

I've never really liked it, but it happened before I got involved with
python-mode maintenance, so I never changed it.  Regarding Barry's comments
about muscle memory, my muscles must be pretty damn stubborn.  Even though I
program almost exclusively in Python via XEmacs these days (not even much C
or Emacs Lisp), I still find myself at the start of a compound identifier
like "really_lon_ident" and think to myself, "Ah.. M-f g, that's the
ticket", only to wind up at the end of "really_lon_identg".

I believe it was Guido who lobbied Barry pretty hard to make it so.  Since
Barry probably worked for Guido at the time, I can understand his
acquiescence. ;-)

Skip