[Python-mode] Still active?

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Mon Apr 23 18:34:15 CEST 2007

    Kelvie> Yeah, I am quite interested in this project; sadly, I don't know
    Kelvie> any elisp, but I'll start doing some reading over the summer.

As someone else indicated Pymacs might be a good way to go.  I don't see any
harm in supporting an effort to redesign/rewrite python-mode using Pymacs.
If successful I think there's a lot of room to improve what python-mode can
do.  If not, then either this version of python-mode or the GNU Emacs
version are both still there as backstops.

    Kelvie> I also have a project course coming up (I'm an engineering
    Kelvie> undergrad), and I'd also like to do something for the open
    Kelvie> source community as part of that, and seeing as how I use python
    Kelvie> so often, and use emacs, this would be an ideal project (it
    Kelvie> starts in January, which is still a way's away).

In that case, I think you'd have more fun with Pymacs, probably have fewer
barriers to surmount (little Emacs Lisp) and maybe lay the groundwork for a
very cool 2008 Google Summer of Code project. ;-)

    Kelvie> I'm especially interested in making a more featureful
    Kelvie> auto-completion method, or would you guys have any ideas on
    Kelvie> something I can embark on?  I can put about 12-20 hours on it a
    Kelvie> week for about 3 months, twice that if I can find a partner :P

Check the code out of CVS^H^H^HSubversion and look at pycomplete.{el,py}.

Skip