[Python-mode] Tutorial on Python-Mode

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Fri Mar 9 20:01:50 CET 2007

    Maximilian> I've been using xemacs for many things, especially LaTeX,
    Maximilian> and I would like to start using it as an editor for
    Maximilian> python. Unfortunately I haven't found much documentation on
    Maximilian> python-mode.

I don't think there is anything separate from what you can get online.

    Maximilian> Is there anyway I can find a tutorial or a few hints (well,
    Maximilian> maybe more than a few...) on how it works.

It's not all that different from other language programming modes.  C-h m
will give you some help about the mode-specific bindings.  From there you
can ask for help about specific commands, functions and variables.

    Maximilian> Just to name a feature, what exactly does "Mark a Block" do?

It's bound to C-c C-k so type C-h k C-c C-k and you'll get the documentation
for the py-mark-block command.

    Maximilian> Or another feature, "Ctrl-c !" I get an interpreter, and
    Maximilian> many new menus (i.e. Complete, In/Out, Signals).

C-c ! runs the py-shell command which is a specialization of the normal
shell mode.  Again, C-h k C-c ! will display help about py-shell.

    Maximilian> I'm a bit lost... I've been using Python only for scripting,
    Maximilian> but I'll probably have to start using it to analyze MD data
    Maximilian> from Gromacs.

I don't do anything with computational chemistry but I assume the field has
plenty of very specialized wheels.  I would be best if you could avoid
reinventing them.  You might want to plug into the SciPy community
(http://www.scipy.org/).  Also, I think Andrew Dalke
(http://www.dalkescientific.com/) does a fair amount of computational
chemistry and bioinformatics using Python.  He might be a good source of
pointers.

--
Skip Montanaro - skip at pobox.com - http://www.webfast.com/~skip/
"The hippies and the hipsters did some great stuff in the sixties,