[Python-mode] Underscore syntax class

Ian Zimmerman itz at madbat.mine.nu
Wed May 2 16:57:36 CEST 2007

Barry> A question, are you an FSF Emacs user or a XEmacs user?  I ask
Barry> because my understanding is that FSF Emacs has its own
Barry> python-mode these days that's different than ours.  I think most
Barry> of the devs on this list use XEmacs, though of course we want it
Barry> to be FSF Emacs compatible.  FSF Emacs python-mode maintainer
Barry> doesn't communicate with us, AFAIK.

I see.  Indeed I am a GNU Emacs user.  I decided not to use the packaged
python mode because it seems to be inextricably twined with pymacs,
a huge beast of full IDE that I don't have a use for.  I didn't know the
module I picked up (on the Emacs wiki, I think) had an XEmacs flavour.

Barry> My suggestion would be to try rebinding it.  It seems like you
Barry> know enough about how to do that and what to look for in
Barry> breakage, and probably also how to fix such breakage.  Speaking
Barry> solely for myself, I think we would accept patches that allowed
Barry> python-mode to work either way, perhaps keyed off a new
Barry> configuration variable (py- historical-underscore-behavior-p ?).

I have already done this and gone through the places where it is
necessary to locally reset the syntax table, there are a fair number
(about ~20).  After changing those rebinding seems to have no ill effects.

Barry> If you can come up with such patches, and it works on both XEmacs
Barry> and FSF Emacs, let us know and we'd consider applying them.

I am not going to install XEmacs for this purpose, so I hope you can
provide these answers which will determine if this is worth trying:

1) Does XEmacs allow specifying syntax overrides in font-lock-defaults,
like this:

(setq font-lock-defaults '(python-font-lock-keywords nil nil ((?_ . "w"))))

2) Does XEmacs have the with-syntax-table macro?

Thanks, Ian.

--
This line is completely ham.