[Python-mode] [Novice]enabling python-mode

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Fri Dec 5 19:30:12 CET 2008

    Saurabh> Now I am able to do M-x python-mode and I get a (Python) status
    Saurabh> on the mode-line.

    Saurabh> However, it is not auto-indenting. Also shouldn't it say
    Saurabh> (Python-mode) on the mode-line?

You are probably still getting the python.el python mode which comes with
GNU Emacs.  To see if this is so you can execute

    M-x find-function RET python-mode RET

then see what the name of the file it pops up is.  I'm pretty sure it will
be named "python.el".

I'm not enough of a Emacs Lisp whiz to provide a solution with 100%
confidence, but here's what I'd try:

    * Inside a running Emacs execute

        M-x load-library RET python-mode RET

      This should enable the python-mode project's version of python mode
      for the current session.  If this fails, python-mode.el is not on your
      load-path.  Either move it or extend load-path.

    * Add

        (load-library "python-mode")

      To your ~/.xemacs file.  This should enable python-mode.el for all
      sessions.

    Saurabh> I am not able to find any tutorial for this. Does there exist
    Saurabh> one?

Not really.  Try:

       C-h f python-mode RET

or while visiting a Python file (and the python-mode you desire is active),
try:

      C-h m

--
Skip Montanaro - skip at pobox.com - http://smontanaro.dyndns.org/