[Python-mode] [Novice]enabling python-mode

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Sat Dec 6 16:29:40 CET 2008

    Saurabh> But how will I come to know whether I am using python-mode.el
    Saurabh> or the default python.el, as the mode-line still says (Python)?

Here are a few ways:

    * When moving past an identifier_with_underscores using M-f or M-b does
      it stop at each underscore or jump over the entire identifier?  If it
      jumps over the entire identifier you are using python-mode.el

    * Executing

        M-x py-version RET

      will work in the python-mode project's python mode and give you a
      response like 4.NN or 5.0.0.  It will fail with the GNU Emacs python
      mode.  It doesn't appear that the GNU Emacs python mode defines any
      kind of version.

    * Public commands and functions are prefixed with "python-" in the GNU
      Emacs python mode.  They are prefixed with "py-" in the python-mode
      project's python mode.  Executing

        C-h a ^py- RET

      will distinguish the two.

I could go on, but I won't belabor the point any more. ;-)

--
Skip Montanaro - skip at pobox.com - http://smontanaro.dyndns.org/