[Python-mode] python.el can't find python to execute

Daniel Wolff daniel.wolff at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 21:56:46 CEST 2008

Hello, I am trying to get python to work with GNU emacs 22.1 on windows. I
am trying to get the default python.el that comes with emacs to work. In
particular, I am having difficulty actually starting python with emacs. Eg.
If I open a .py file and try to send it to the interpreter with C-c C-c, or
try to run it directly, M-x run-python, or try to start it from the python
menu ("Start Interpreter") - all three lead to the same message: "apply:
Searching for program: no such file or directory, python." I have inspected
the python.el file that ships with emacs and it looks fine. It seems to be
simply sending the command "python" to the shell. But, I am obviously
missing something as it cannot find it. Yes, python.exe is on my path. But,
something a bit strange happens. If I fire up the shell within emacs, M-x
shell, and try to start python with just "python", the shell echos the work
"python" but then gives nothing.

c:\Users\me>python

python

exit()

after this I cannot get my shell back. Maybe these are unrelated problems.
Any thoughts appreciated. Thank you, Daniel