[Python-mode] python setup ?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Apr 30 15:24:46 CEST 2009

On Apr 30, 2009, at 3:25 AM, Andreas Röhler wrote:

> With python-mode.el, people may have good reasons, to
> use it as it is - and me to leave it as it is.  Thats
> fine with bazaar and other DVCs, we can do that. My
> branch doesn't hamper the origin and any further branch
> will not. Its just freedom to try and see.

This is true, and experimentation a good thing in the short term.  In
the long term though, a proliferation of branches just confuses people
because no one's sure which is the official branch.  Our lives are
more difficult too because of the python-mode.el/python.el split.

So I encourage you to experiment and get user feedback.  Old-timers
(and remember, python-mode.el's been in widespread use for 15 years)
will be wedded to their muscle memory, but if you introduce a user-
visible change that people like, they can be made configurable with
defaults providing the old behavior.  Then it will be possible to
merge your changes back into the official branch.  If you modularize
your changes, then the less controversial ones can get merged in sooner.

-Barry