[Python-mode] Problem with Multi-Line Comments

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Fri Dec 11 14:50:02 CET 2009

    Kent> Am I misunderstanding something?

Perhaps.  There is definitely a deficiency in the Emacs syntax table stuff,
at least the way python-mode uses it.  I believe the other Python mode (the
one delivered with recent versions of GNU Emacs) might handle triple-quoted
strings better.

In many cases you can avoid the problem by using """...""" to surround
strings containing apostrophes and '''...''' to surround strings containing
quotation marks.  The only problem you encounter there is the situation
where your doc strings contain both quotation marks and apostrophes.

Skip