[Python-mode] replacing python.el

Dave Love fx at gnu.org
Sun Feb 1 21:56:42 CET 2009

Beverley Eyre <fbe2 at comcast.net> writes:

> Don't forget that there was a peck of code that Dave Love took from
> python-mode.el in his python.el.

That's not true, as I've already responded to Eyre with some subset of
these Ccs.  As well as this claim of wholesale copying, and thus me
lying about the copyright status of the code, there was the implication
that I was violating other's copyright, and that people should ignore
the licence on free software (bizarrely on the basis of what rms
supposedly wrote).  I advised legal advice on copyright, and should
probably have mentioned libel.

[For the benefit of emacs-devel, this all originated when I complained
about someone distributing a chunk of my code with the FSF copyright
notice stripped as a patch for python-mode.el, which was under a simple
permissive licence.  I also saw a call for volunteers to merge the two
modes, and pointed out the GPL'd code couldn't be used under the
permissive licence -- there was no mention of changing it -- and that
code couldn't be used in Emacs without a proper assignment.]

Obviously if the FSF's legal advice on what's significant for copyright
purposes has changed, if I misinterpreted it, or made a mistake, I'd
re-write stuff appropriately.  However, I don't think it's worth
worrying about it on the basis of someone who's so far quoted some
duplicated keybindings, and a Fixme comment that was clearly mine, as
evidence of all this copied code.  If Emacs developers are worried,
please contact me more privately.