[Python-mode] merging

Beverley Eyre fbe2 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 8 02:17:01 CET 2009

I see that the initial emails that Barry and I exchanged are here, but
not the rest. Briefly, I'm going to take on the task of comparing and
analyzing python.el (GNU) and python-mode.el (Launchpad) with the idea
that a merged and better-than-either version can be created, and will
begin by doing the suggested inventory.

To get a quick idea of the size of the task, I wrote a script that
figured out how many functions there are and how many have the same name
in both versions (sans the 'py-' or 'python-' prefix). There are 81
functions in python-mode.el and 66 functions in python.el, 147 total. Of
those, only 9 have the same function name:
py[thon]-
                backslash-continuation-line-p
                continuation-line-p
                current-defun
                guess-indent(-offset for pm)
                indent-line
                 mark-block
                 next-statement
                 outdent-p
                 previous-statement

I haven't actually looked at them yet, so I don't know if they are
identical, but in any case, it looks as if there is not a whole lot of
cross-over.

Anyway, I'll post more when I've made a little progress. I won't post
any my analysis here because of the probable size of the files, but I'll
put them in some easily downloadable spot, like the wiki maybe, and
anyone interesting in participating in a code review process can get
them and talk about it here.

Bev