[Python-mode] merging python-mode.el and python.el

Beverley Eyre fbe2 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 19 02:26:25 CET 2009

Dave,

Please forgive me for asking, what may seem to you to be, a dumb
question. But I'm not a lawyer and my brain is not formatted with
whatever structure it needs to understand legal stuff. But, it was my
understanding, based on my readings of rms' stuff, that 'free' software
is free so that people who care to can change the code. More, they can
distribute this altered code to all and sundry as long it remains
'free'.  After all, Dave, we're not doing anything that you haven't
done. Here's the first few lines from the python-mode-map variable from
*your* python.el code:

(defvar python-mode-map
  (let ((map (make-sparese-keymap)))
;; Mostly taken from python-mode.el     <<<<<<<==============!!!!!
   (define-key map ":" 'python-electric-colon)

Also, here's one of your comments from the 'inferior-python-mode' section:
;; Fixme: This should inherit some stuff from `python-mode', but I'm
;; not sure how much: at least some keybindings, like C-c C-f;
;; syntax?; font-locking, e.g. for triple-quoted strings?

Our 'merge' effort isn't different in any way from the spirit of your
comments in your own code, nyet?

Secondly, it seems as if your main objections center around the question
of which mode will be included in distributions of GNU Emacs. And you
aren't going to include anything in Emacs which hasn't been legally
assigned to FSF, which I can understand. But it also sounds like you are
saying that any software 'borrowed' from some GNU Emacs 'assigned' code
can't be distributed unless it is also assigned to the FSF. Am I
misunderstanding you?

Also, on a personal note, I couldn't care less whether the python mode
that I use is the officially distributed one or not. I kind of  like the
idea of python.org distributing a python-mode, much in the same spirit
as, say, the IEEE distributes it's own IEEEtrans.cls for those who want
to use LaTeX to write IEEE papers. This is common in organizations that
want their publications formatted a special way. There's no real reason
why GNU should have to write a python mode (or a ruby mode, or a mode
for any new language that comes down the pike). It seems more natural
for python (or ruby or...) folk to do so.

As things stand now, both python-mode.el and python.el need work. Both
have good stuff and bad stuff, imo. I know you agree with this, based on
comments you yourself have made, (e.g. in the comments you make in the
python.el header section you say that python-mode.el is "not well
maintained. " Ok, if you think that's so, then you can't reasonably
object to an effort to maintain and upgrade it. As far as your code
goes, the number of your 'fixme's speak for itself.)

I'm wondering what the rms of 25 years ago would say if a lot of legal
wrangling and copyright issues were standing in the way of a handful of
programmers trying to get together to improve some code which they use
all the time? AFAIK, Dave, that's all that's going on here, just some
geeks trying to write a better tool.  At the top of my own wish list for
this project is your help. Is that out of the question, tovarisch?

Beverley Eyre