[Python-mode] python setup ?

Andreas Röhler andreas.roehler at easy-emacs.de
Tue May 5 17:09:10 CEST 2009

Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On May 4, 2009, at 3:59 PM, Andreas Röhler wrote:
>>> IMO any new "obviously useful" features should be enabled by
>>> default. Old Timers should have no problem reverting to older
>>> configurations via settings. A point which generates much contention I
>>> know. As it is, Python set up is/was a minefield. I have a reasonable
>>> set up here fwiw,
>> Yes, you have. Used it month ago, thanks BTW.
>> Beside the question is still, how the user may get everything needed
>> installed with one action.
>> Several possibilities exist: we could make a tarball emacs-python.
> If you have permission of the authors of the other packages, I have no
> problem distributing them in our branch, or making a tarball of them
> available from the Launchpad download page.  It's up to them though.

Thanks a lot. I'll care for that.

It will be great, if emacs-python-folks may use this facility for
 independently from existing files, thus python-mode
understood in a broader sense, rather python-mode(s).

>   I tend not to use those other packages and just grab python-mode.el
> from its bzr branch.
>> Too we should let the user decide, what features to use: ipython or not,
>> pdbtrack or pydb, which
>> completion, refactoring, which checks and tests etc.
> Sure.  I would tend to be more conservative in the default settings,
> so as not to surprise people, but that's just me. :)

That's wise. With releases, users shouldn't be bothered with all the
developing stuff.
Also we could consider bundles for beginners as well as for
powered-through master-pythons. :)