[Python-mode] [PDEE] CEDET integration with python-mode.el?

Rocky Bernstein rocky.bernstein at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 02:52:51 CET 2010

Comments in line.

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 6:35 PM, Yaroslav Halchenko <lists at onerussian.com>wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Mar 2010, Rohan Nicholls wrote:
> > > Ipython + python-mode + python-ropemacs + pylint + flymake + outline
> > I have also used such a setup, and it has a lot to offer, but I found
> > that it really dies on you when you work with big projects.  I think
> > >...<
> I had similar slowdown/cpu_intensive experience with some versions of
> pylint and more or less large projects but then it somehow became sane
> again (didn't check if any recent version changelog had any
> performance/dependecy_tracking improvements  mentioned)
>
> > emacs frontend to rpdb (command line version of the winpdb debugger),
> > which seems to handle threading as well if not better than anyone
> > else.  Pdb falls down horribly when dealing with multi-threaded
> > applications such as a wx-python or zope app.
> what about pydb (or even may be a new rewrite pydbgr ?)

 I bet Rocky
> (their author) who is also an emacs user might like to join the forces
> to provide adequate glue?

Of course, I'm happy to work with folks who are interested in using pydbgr
and ensuring it plays nice with other tools. Strategically I'd like to see
it and other debuggers of this ilk use DBGp, the remote debugging protocol.
See http://xdebug.org/docs-dbgp.php.

Right now though pydbgr has remote debugging support using a home-grown
protocol based on the Ruby debugger ruby-debug. And by the way, both pydb
and pydbgr do support working with threads.

As for emacs and debugger integration, see the emacs-dbgr project on github
http://github.com/rocky/emacs-dbgr. It has lots of rough edges but
personally I use it all the time. Generally though I use it with debuggers
such as for Ruby, POSIX shells and gdb since I don't do much Python coding.

emacs-dbgr definitely is a much better foundation to work with on the Emacs
side for debuggers than gud.el. It makes better use of Emacs Lisp and Emacs
built in capabilities. For example it uses marks to store locations in the
source and process buffers; it uses a ring to store history locations and
buffer-local structs to store debugger information.

Right now emacs-dbgr only supports for pydbgr with regards to Python, but
adding other debuggers such as pdb, pydb, or rpdb is pretty easy. If someone
is interested in that let me know.

The gating factor on all of this development work is that the lack of
interest in the community. Personally I don't have need to use Python right
now, and historically ipython and Python folks haven't been much interested
in pydb let alone pydbgr. But to be fair, I'm not sure that historically
there has been all that much interest in pdb either.