[Python-mode] python.el cleanup

Andreas Röhler andreas.roehler at online.de
Sun Apr 3 20:55:12 CEST 2011

Am 03.04.2011 19:45, schrieb Christoph Scholtes:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> On 3/30/2011 8:10 AM, Andreas Röhler wrote:
>
>> glad to see Emacs python facilities improve. As you mention
>> python-mode.el, there are some remarks in python.el which I feel are not
>> correct. If some solution predates historically another, there are
>> usually some setbacks from being the first.
>
> I am not sure which remarks you are referring to here.

Hi Christoph,

reading for example:

;; That isn't covered by an FSF copyright assignment (?), unlike this
;; code, and seems not to be well-maintained for Emacs (though I've
;; submitted fixes).

>> OTOH from my perspective python-mode.el has still some point in
>> proceding.
>
> I don't think anybody is saying otherwise.
>
>> Hopefully we may discuss the pro and cons to the benefit of users, which
>> flavour they may choose finally. As you might have been remarked, its
>> interwoven to an extend, you can seldom discern it clearly to the one or
>> other origin.
>
> To me, it really doesn't matter where it originated from or who was
> first. If it works great, great, if it does not, let's improve it. The
> goal should be the best Python support for Emacs possible.
>
>> BTW I'm not blaming the GNU's side. Just wanted to point at the issue so
>> we might hopefully reduce the obstacles.
>
> Here, I am also not sure what issue or obstacles you are referring to.

Assume people will rather not be inclined to send bug reports, resp.
fixes, if feeling quitted with remarks telling their own baby not being
well maintained. That I would call an obstacle.

Andreas