[Python-mode] apropos py-bug-numbered-tests

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Mar 15 21:09:24 CET 2011

On Mar 15, 2011, at 07:47 PM, Andreas Röhler wrote:

>To tackle remaining bugs, would
>change some lisp of python-mode.el towards more common
>forms. For example `py-save' now is as macro
>`ignore-errors' available.

The question is cross-Emacsen compatibility, and also compatibility with older
Emacsen.  E.g. how far back does ignore-errors support and does it work with
XEmacs?

>Also `py-point' forms IMHO rather obfuscate the code. Did
>see the explanation for it, but don't think it pays.

I do like py-point a lot.  Code was more verbose without it, so I do think it
helps, and should be pretty easy to understand.  OTOH, I guess you're doing
the most work on the code now, so you get to decide.  However I wouldn't
necessarily recommend ripping it all out (IOW, "if it ain't broke, don't fix
it").

>Do I have green light for such a clean up?

I'll leave it up to you, with the above caveats.

>Would commit every logical step, so it should be easy to
>revert, should some mistake occur.

Maybe getting the tests working first would be a good idea?  That way, you
have some baseline to prove that your changes aren't breaking the code.  What
do you think?

-Barry