[Python-mode] New to python mode, help!

Gene Horodecki geneh at shaw.ca
Sat Oct 22 04:03:14 CEST 2011

At the risk of being a pest, I thought I would explain how far I have
gotten and what doesn't work for me.  Basically the code-completion
doesn't seem to be working.  For example:

import time
mytime = time.cl<TAB>

and I get nothing.

Also, I have read I should be able to do something like,
myfile = open( ,

and get a signature for the open function?  Not working either.

  I switched to GNU emacs, and I am using the .el for GNU emacs.  I
copied the .el files into ~/.emacs.d/site-lisp.  Here is the contents of
the directory:

#~/.emacs.d/site-lisp$ ls
highlight-indentation.el  ido.el  pycomplete.el  python-mode.el

Here is the contents of my .emacs file:

:~$ cat .emacs
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/site-lisp")
;; python-mode settings
(setq auto-mode-alist (cons '("\\.py$" . python-mode) auto-mode-alist))
(setq interpreter-mode-alist(cons '("python" . python-mode)
                              interpreter-mode-alist))
;; path to the python interpreter, e.g.: ~rw/python27/bin/python2.7
(setq py-python-command "/usr/bin/python2.6")
(autoload 'python-mode "python-mode" "Python editing mode." t)

;; pymacs settings
(setq pymacs-python-command py-python-command)
(autoload 'pymacs-load "pymacs" nil t)
(autoload 'pymacs-eval "pymacs" nil t)
(autoload 'pymacs-apply "pymacs")
(autoload 'pymacs-call "pymacs")