[Python-mode] python.el (from gnu emacs) vs python-mode.el

Tom Roche Tom_Roche at pobox.com
Mon Oct 24 00:15:52 CEST 2011

Brendan Miller Sat, 22 Oct 2011 13:24:13 -0700
> How do [python-mode.el and python.el] compare?

This may be irrelevant to you, and may be wrong, but my impression is that

1 the difference between the two that I find most significant is,
  python-mode.el is under much more active development than python.el.

2 as you note, currently (hopefully not much longer), python.el is
  officially supported by GNU and python-mode.el is not. My impression
  regarding that (which again could be horribly wrong) is, this is a
  remnant of the "Emacs Schism" (see the Emacs wiki for more info),
  and the fact that python-mode.el originally developed on XEmacs.

HTH, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com>, using python-mode.el on GNU Emacs