[Python-mode] trying to upgrade

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Sun Apr 8 23:09:13 CEST 2012

On 4/7/2012 11:41 PM, Andreas Röhler wrote:
> Am 08.04.2012 01:54, schrieb Glenn Linderman:
>> Hi Andreas, et alia,
>>
>> Slowly the wheels turn, and progress is made. And then there are
>> bumps in the road. This is probably a bump.
>

>> You might recall that I was stuck on an old version of emacs because
>> of incompatibilities newer versions had with AutoHotKey. It was more
>> important for me to be compatible,
>> than to run the latest emacs. Then recently I discovered the beta
>> emacs is now compatible with AutoHotKey again, at least, as much as
>> the old version was (there are still
>> some issues, but they are not new).
>>
>> So references here are to this emacs:
>>
>> GNU Emacs 24.0.93.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)
>> of 2012-02-15 on MARVIN
>>
>> So I upgraded to the above new emacs, and now am upgrading to the new
>> python-mode.el. I was running python-mode.el 6.0.2 and I see 6.0.5 is
>> now the latest version, so I
>> downloaded it, tweaked my load-path to point to the new one, and
>> opened a quite valid, successfully executing Python 3 source file.
>>
>> The following error appeared in the minibar:
>>
>> Error in menu-bar-update-hook (imenu-update-menubar): (error Lisp
>> nesting exceeds `max-lisp-eval-depth')
>
> Hi Glenn
>
> might be related to some indexing issue.
>
> customize py-imenu-create-index-p to nil should avoid this anyway.
>
> I'm testing with Emacs24 too from time to time and it passed as
> Emacs23 so far.
>
> Nonetheless Emacs24 got some major changes and has some issues still.
> Unless actively developing it, recommend Emacs23 for all productive work.
>
> As for the rest, let's try to solve the knot by doing it one by one.
>
> - disable all optional features as outline-mode - customize
> py-outline-minor-mode-p nil
>

> If you still encounter some issues with latest release, please send an
> example file which triggers it, resp. make a bug report.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Andreas

Your suggestions sound good.  Since they didn't look like elisp syntax,
I tried the menus, Options / Customize Emacs / Programming / Languages /
Python ... but couldn't guess where to go next.

So I apologize, I am unable to intuit elisp syntax from the above prose,
nor guess my way into the customize tree to find them.  Can you be more
explicit on what to do to turn of the options that might bypass these
symptoms?  I don't grok much of the elisp parenthesis soup, I'm just an
emacs user with a bit of .emacsrc cut-n-paste ability.

As for emacs 24, I am no emacs developer, but I cannot use emacs 22 or
23 due to incompatibilities with AutoHotKey, and 21 works fine for me
for normal things, but is maybe too old for the latest python-mode,
since you were not able to reproduce problems I had in the past.  So it
is 21 or 24, which, if either, can you support with python-mode? Maybe
it is premature to use 24, but I am supposing, unless you declare
otherwise, that it is much more interesting to add support for 24 into
python-mode than to support 21...