[Python-mode] huge files

Andreas Röhler andreas.roehler at online.de
Wed Feb 15 18:21:43 CET 2012

Am 15.02.2012 13:57, schrieb Barry Warsaw:
> On Feb 15, 2012, at 09:34 AM, Andreas Röhler wrote:
>
>> think it's basically historical.
>>
>> People interested in developing/understanding might check out and use the components branch
>>
>> https://code.launchpad.net/~a-roehler/python-mode/components-python-mode
>>
>> I'm doing all my developing and Python editing there.
>> It's sometimes ahead several days, if new features are introduced. But the same tests are run before commits, so a possible loss in stability is mince.
>>
>> BTW in future we could create a declared stable branch of components and make two tarballs for release.
>
> I've always thought that because python-mode.el is a separate download, it's
> better to have one big file.  This makes it easier for users to add it to
> their Emacsen, even though it makes it more difficult to maintain, as rightly
> observed.
>
> But maybe we're at the tipping point where that trade-off should go the other
> way.  Good, discoverable, installation documentation would go a long way
> toward alleviating those concerns.  I run python-mode out of the bzr trunk, so
> I'm probably not a good use case.
>
> In a very real sense, this is Andreas's decision now.  "He who does the work,
> decides" and Andreas has for quite a while now assumed primary ownership on
> the code, by virtue of his great work on the mode.  I have no place to stand
> in the way of his decision on this.
>
> Cheers,
> -Barry

thanks looking with patience at my endeavors :)

Changed the intro note at lp, which mentions now a developing branch
beneath the trunk.

Concerning the one-file-solution see the pro at the users side.

BTW as for patches sent, the branch wouldn't be of importance so far.
The only point is the being against a current revision.

Cheers,

Andreas