[Python-mode] freezed branches

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Jul 6 21:25:59 CEST 2012

On Jul 06, 2012, at 08:35 PM, Andreas Röhler wrote:

>in case a distro shipping python-mode.el declares a freeze, we may meet that
>creating a freezed branch mentioning that distro or release name
>
>Then developing might go on in trunk, whilst the freeze is honoured.

I probably wouldn't tie a branch to any specific distro.  That's setting a bad
precedence that could potentially add lots of extra work if other distros want
the same treatment.

Instead, you could tie branches to python-mode version series.  E.g. You could
branch for 6.0.x and then 6.1.x would be developed on trunk.  Just be cautious
about any bug fixes you backport to the 6.0.x branch and don't backport any
new features.  It would then be up to distro's package maintainer <ahem> to
cherry pick fixes from the appropriate branch during the lifetime of the
stable distro release.

Cheers,
-Barry