[python-nigeria] python-nigeria Digest, Vol 9, Issue 4

Tosin Damilare James Animashaun acetakwas at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 13:57:02 EDT 2016

Good evening house,

(I'll try to be more terse than our darling @Aisha ;) )

On 11 April 2016 at 17:00, <python-nigeria-request at python.org> wrote:

> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Matters Arising (Aisha Bello)
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 21:57:48 +0100
> From: Aisha Bello <aishabello2050 at gmail.com>
> To: python-nigeria at python.org
>

> Bonsoir Pythonistas :D,
>
> I hope this meets us well. So sometime ago on Slack someone commented on
> how everywhere had gone really quiet and someone else replied that
> Pythonistas were queuing for fuel.#FuelScarcity. I hope none of us had to
> waste valuable time or even spend the night queuing for Fuel.

I want to encourage everyone of us to become more proactive in the
community. I understand that as geeks, most of use are by disposition less
social than *mere mortals*. :) :B

However, we should know that we are 'somewhat' pioneering something here, *if
done right*. There are "very few" *active* communities around any
tehcnology in Nigeria. A simple google search for "user(s) group Nigeria"
reveals this.

Over and abroad from where we all -- permit me to say this -- run to to
learn (or even copy) a bulk of what we know, communities are a lot more
involved; so much so that just about every technology has an *[XYZ]*Con
these days (only recently, someone had mentioned the *DjangoCon* in our
Slack community).

These things didn't just start big. They mostly started from small
communities like what we have now.

Just a while ago, the *#pydata* channel appeared to be going abuzz with
interesting conversations (a book-reading "challenge" even). Despite not
contributing much to that channel, I enjoyed reading the conversations in
my spare time and learned from them. But that channel has suddenly gone
quiet now.

Sometime ago, *Ifeanyi Oraelosi* (a.k.a *@gnerkus*) was sharing daily
algorithmic challenges from programming challenge/contests platforms like
Hackerrank and CodeWars, until he got discouraged by *our loud silence* and
non-reponse, then stopped.

We even have projects on ground that have yet to kick off, most notably
projects from the two Lekans in the house: *eMergency* app and the proposed
*Python-For-The-Average-Nigerian* book.

I am certainly just as guilty in all of this, so I am calling us
collectively to bring life [again] into this community.

We can make this happen. I see no reason why anyone should regret being a
part of this community (if there be any such person), expecially
considerring how ubiquitous the Python programming language is today. On
the contrary, We should be proud. :)

So first of welcome Temitope nice to have you on here. Here's to more
> productive collaborations between you and the community.

I also welcome all the new members and hope that they enjoy their time
here.

I need to bring you guys attention to this cool post by our one and only
> Tosin Damilare aka @acetakwas
> http://takwas.github.io/article/what-follows-django-girls.html for those
> of
> us who haven't read it.

@Aisha, thanks for mentioning the blog post. I am delighted to put in my
little quota, anytime.

(Well I guess I now owe you apologies for failing to keep my promise to be
less verbose -- I guess I had so much to say)

I wish everyone a productive week.

*Tosin Damilare James Animashaun*
*Christian | Programmer | Learner*
*Mobile:* +234 701 1389 064