[Python-porting] Recommended Python version?

Shane Kerr shane at isc.org
Tue Jun 15 13:59:15 CEST 2010

Hello,

Apologies if this is not the right list for this question, but there are
many Python lists and I wasn't sure which to approach.

We started the BIND 10 project a year ago, and picked Python 3 because
we don't expect the software to be production-ready until after 3 years
of work.

However, we have concerns because very few systems ship with Python 3
"out of the box" still. We think that early adopters - and later all
adopters - may be put off by this requirement.

We're considering back-porting the project from 3.1 to 2.7, and then
maintaining a version of the software that works with both the older 2.x
and the newer 3.x series. Does this make any sense?

Do you have any other recommendations regarding Python 2 vs. Python 3?

Thanks,

--
Shane