[Python-porting] Recommended Python version?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Jun 15 14:49:38 CEST 2010

Shane Kerr wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Apologies if this is not the right list for this question, but there are
> many Python lists and I wasn't sure which to approach.
>
> We started the BIND 10 project a year ago, and picked Python 3 because
> we don't expect the software to be production-ready until after 3 years
> of work.
>
> However, we have concerns because very few systems ship with Python 3
> "out of the box" still. We think that early adopters - and later all
> adopters - may be put off by this requirement.
>
> We're considering back-porting the project from 3.1 to 2.7, and then
> maintaining a version of the software that works with both the older 2.x
> and the newer 3.x series. Does this make any sense?
>
> Do you have any other recommendations regarding Python 2 vs. Python 3?

Depending on what you want to do with Python, it's probably best
to try to write software that works with both Python 2 and 3 -
especially if you are targeting a very diverse set of systems.

For backporting from 3 to 2, there's a helper available
which may be useful: http://www.startcodon.com/wordpress/?cat=8

Note that most recent Linux distributions do ship with Python3.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jun 15 2010)
2010-07-19: EuroPython 2010, Birmingham, UK                33 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/