[Python-porting] Attempt to organize people who want to help port

Brian Curtin brian.curtin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 17:58:08 CEST 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 10:33, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

> On Oct 20, 2010, at 09:27 PM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>
> >After a few mailing list posts about porting to python3 when upstreams are
> >dead, I've started a page to help organize people who want to do porting
> >work without (previously :-) being associated with upstream.
> >
> >http://wiki.python.org/moin/PortingToPy3k/PortingHelpers
> >
> >This is very rough atm as I just brainstormed it in the past hour.  I know
> >that Barry Warsaw and Dave Malcolm are both interested in this as well.
> >If we can keep up the momentum here we might get some useful information
> >and get some more people interested in working on python3 porting.
>
> Thanks for getting this rolling Toshio.  I've sent an email to the
> debian-python list to inform them of python-porting and the wiki page.
>  I'll
> be really happy if we can rally the cross-distro troops to this important
> effort.
>
> Does anybody have connections to other communities of Linux distro
> developers
> or even other OS developers?  If so, please invite them to this mailing
> list
> and point them at the wiki page.
>
> Cheers,
> -Barry
>
> P.S. We should definitely have a talk at Pycon about these efforts.  Who
> wants
> to (co-)give a talk?

+1 on a PyCon talk.
The PSF Sprints group would love to support more porting sprints (only two
so far), and getting PyCon attendees into porting initiatives would be
great. I'd be up for co-speaking on behalf of the sprints group to let
people know what resources are available and what porting efforts are going
on, along with whatever of my porting experience people would find relevant.