[Python-porting] [RELEASED] six 1.1

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Nov 23 16:14:55 CET 2011

On Nov 22, 2011, at 11:45 PM, Benjamin Peterson wrote:

>I'm pleased to announce the immediate availability of six 1.1.0. six
>is a small compatibility library for writing code that works on Python
>2 and 3 without modification.

Nice.  I skimmed the documentation, and there are definitely a few things that
I think would have been helpful in my current porting tasks.  I especially
like with_metaclass() since that's the one syntax that I've had to resort to
exec'ing for.

There are some good porting guides out there, but I've found some holes, at
both the Python and C levels.  I'll write up the details (e.g. __next__()
vs. next()) hopefully today, I've also found a few more traps and tricks for
extension modules.  I wonder if you have any interest in adding some C level
portability helpers.

Cheers,
-Barry