[Python-porting] Python 2.4 v/s Python3.2

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 11:25:25 CEST 2012

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Vikas Choudhary
<vikas.choudhary at qlogic.com> wrote:
> Can someone let me know advantage  of python 3.2 over python 2.4

There are loads and loads of advantages, but many are quite small. I'd
say the big ones are:

* Bugfixes. 2.4 is really old.
* The "with" statement
* Ordered Dictionaries
* argparse module
* 0b integer syntax.
* multiprocessing module
* Class decorators
* Conditional expressions
* Sending values to generators
* Dictionary views.
* print is a function
* strings are unicode
* Things are just a little bit more consistent.

Of course, all of these except the last three and a half ones are true
for Python 2.7 as well. And if you want to migrate code to Python 3,
then you should first migrate to 2.7 anyway.

//Lennart