[Python-porting] Python 2/3 compatible distutils installation?

Chris Jerdonek chris.jerdonek at gmail.com
Thu May 17 00:16:10 CEST 2012

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 2:36 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> On May 16, 2012, at 12:24 PM, Chris Jerdonek wrote:
>
>>I also encountered this issue recently.  Can you just avoid importing
>>anything from your package from within setup.py?
>
> It's not actually *my* setup.py, but I get what you're saying.  In my own
> packages, I do try to avoid those types of imports.

Sorry, I meant to say the package that you're helping with.

I realize now that the issue I had might be completely different,
because I was using 2to3 and testtools protects the import with a
version check, etc.  So perhaps my suggestion won't help.  What causes
the install process to byte-compile the files?

Also, thanks for the idea and pointers re: grabbing the version
number.  That idea had crossed my mind, too, but I didn't implement
it.

--Chris