[Python-porting] oauth for Python 3

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu May 24 18:10:16 CEST 2012

One of the packages that I'm constantly bumping up against as I port more code
to Python 3 is oauth.  We really need a semi-official (or at least popular
<wink>) Python 3 compatible oauth client library.

I'm CC'ing Jason DeRose since I've had several conversations with him about
this, and I believe he has a package that would fit the bill, although I'm not
sure if it's available on PyPI yet.

I know I've spoken to at least one other person who knew of, or was working
on, a Python 3 compatible oauth library, but I can't remember who that is.

The most popular oauth package on the Cheeseshop is oauth 1.0.1, but afaik
upstream has abandoned it, and it has had a new version on PyPI in since
September 2009.  I'm not personally very keen on adopting it in order to port
it.

There are many other hits for 'oauth' on PyPI, but none of the client
libraries are Python 3 compatible already afaict.

It would be really fantastic if a Python 3 compatible oauth library existed on
PyPI, and it would be even better (maybe) if it was API compatible with oauth
1.0.1.

Is anybody else out there trying to do oauth client interaction in Python 3,
and if so, what are you using?  Jason, maybe you can speak about your library
and whether it can or will be available on PyPI?

Cheers,
-Barry