[Python-porting] Rewrite of official porting HOWTO

Brett Cannon bcannon at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 21:08:24 CET 2014

Since about August I have been working to strengthen the tooling around
supporting source-compatible Python 2/3 projects. This has culminated in
rewriting the official porting HOWTO to espouse this approach.

I have created http://bugs.python.org/issue22914 with the patch for the
changes. It includes a link to a GitHub gist so you can read the rendered
reST instead of a massive diff. If anyone has any comments or corrections
before I submit this to the Python 2.7, Python 3.4, and Python 3.5 docs
then please do so (I plan to commit in a week on Friday, Nov 28).