[Python-uk] Adoption of Python

Matthew Dunn matthew.dunn@cis.co.uk
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 18:29:17 +0100

I work in a group called DSSG (Distributed Systems Support Group) in CIS
(CoOperative Insurance) in Manchester.

We have recently rolled out a large proect with heavy use of Python, wxPython
etc.

Our sales force have been issued with replacement laptops (about 2500 so far)
running win98. My colleagues and I have written an infrastructure for these
users so they can down/upload data, receive software updates, send/receive email
etc.

For this, we used Python. We love it. We are but a few, but our numbers are
growing.

As well as this infrastructure, we have written a suite of intranet-served
applications in Python - this is where python gets extremely useful - running on
IIS4.0.
We have produced a bunch of modules, one containing functions for all HTML tags,
one for implementing style sheets etc. At some point we'll package them up and
offer them for download by others.

Anyway, that's my t'penneth worth. Just wanted to let you know that some people
in the UK are taking Python seriously as a development platform for reasonably
large proects.

Regards,
Matt Dunn, DSSG, CIS Ltd.

This e-mail may contain confidential information or be privileged. It is intended to be read and used only by the named recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s) please notify us immediately so that we can make arrangements for its return: you should not disclose the contents of this e-mail to any other person, or take any copies. Unless stated otherwise by an authorised individual, nothing contained in this e-mail is intended to create binding legal obligations between us and opinions expressed are those of the individual author.

The CIS marketing group, which is regulated for Investment Business by the Personal Investment Authority, includes:
Co-operative Insurance Society Limited Registered in England number 3615R - for life assurance and pensions
CIS Unit Managers Limited Registered in England and Wales number 2369965 (also regulated by IMRO) - for unit trusts and PEPs
CIS Policyholder Services Limited Registered in England and Wales number 3390839 - for ISAs and investment products bearing the CIS name
Registered offices: Miller Street, Manchester M60 0AL   Telephone  0161-832-8686   Internet  http://www.cis.co.uk   E-mail cis@cis.co.uk

CIS Deposit and Instant Access Savings Accounts are held with The Co-operative Bank p.l.c., registered in England and Wales number 990937, P.O. Box 101, 1 Balloon Street, Manchester M60 4EP, and administered by CIS Policyholder Services Limited as agent of the Bank.

CIS & the CIS logo (R) Co-operative Insurance Society Limited