[Python-uk] Promoting Python in the UK

phil hunt philh@vision25.demon.co.uk
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 21:57:56 +0100 (GMT)

On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Andy Robinson wrote:
> Magazines:
> -------------
> Plan A is to place some Python stories.  I am sounding out magazines
> to see if any are interested in Python stories; if any bite, I'll post
> the group and we can see who wants to be famous.
>
> Ideally we need a press officer - any takers?

If no-one else wants to do this, I'd like to do it.

> Organisation
> ---------------
> We have a secretary.  We also need a Press Officer - any takers?  It
> involves managing an email list

I'm not quite sure what you mean here; could you elucidate?

> and handling responses.  Could be the
> same person, but I don't want to lean on Michael too much.

> We could have
> 1. a members' directory with full details
> 2. a 'sightings' database for companies/projects rumoured to be or
> known to be using Python.
> 3. a calendar, with upcoming shows/talks to target, events and a list
> of past press releases
> 4. a links page.

This all sounds good.

> If this stuff needs an editor, it might not go far; but if we can all
> contribute any time, we could build up a useful database of where
> Python is being used.
>
> So who knows, or wants to learn, Zope?

If someone would like to give a talk or short demo on this at the next
meeting, I would be very interested.

> Next Events
> --------------
> At tne next London one, we want to aim for a few short talks and a
> venue.  How about early December?  I will try to get a room with a
> projector, free of charge, near Liverpool Street so Cambridge people
> can come down.  Everyone could be expected to talk for 2-3 minutes
> about who they are and what they are doing, and anyone who wants to
> can demo stuff.

I am currently developing a web site that uses Python (www.comuno.com),
and also developing an open-source Python GUI builder (Parrot). I'd be
happy to give a talk about either of these.

> We only had 2 and 4 so far.  Who would actually turn up next time,
> given enough notice?

I will.

--
***** Phil Hunt ***** philh@vision25.demon.co.uk *****
  ``They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance''