[Python-uk] Promoting Python in the UK

Laurence Tratt tratt@dcs.kcl.ac.uk
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 09:28:46 +0000

Andy Robinson wrote:

> I am sounding out magazines to see if any are interested in Python
> stories; if any bite, I'll post the group

I'm just wondering if anything has come of this yet. Personally, I'm very
interested in writing an article or two for magazines but I do know that
magazines can be intermittently slow and then overbearingly fast, so I guess
it might take a while?

[Targeting other communities]

One thing that we haven't yet done is get an idea of what people on this
list are actively involved in, Python wise. This could make a big difference
to which communities we can reasonably target as it'll give us an idea of
where our collective expertise lies. For example, I currently maintain the
RISC OS port of Python (and working on GUI libraries for it), a few other
tiny little modules (bzip2, csv etc), and I'm making a start on an
experimental javadoc/pythondoc sort of beast; Andy's created a PDF creation
module (I think); Phil Hunt's creating the Parrot GUI builder. I'm sure
there are many others creating fairly substantial pieces of software as well
as the common glue-bits-together stuff which everyone seems to enjoy :)

If we've got a record of who does what, it might well help tell us some
suitable directions to channel our energies into; and as people change what
they're up to (and new people join) we can revise our targets.

Laurie
--
http://eh.org/~laurie/comp/acorn/ropython/ for RISC OS Python