[Python-uk] Klingons in Colliers Wood

Andy Robinson andy@reportlab.com
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 20:36:05 -0000

It was briefly mentioned at the Python-UK meeting
that the Klingon alphabet was in Unicode.
Well, I checked;   it is one of
a number of submitted proposals to go in the
surrogate pair area (a hack to add an extra million
characters to Unicode), and like all properly
documented proposals, the ISO is required to
consider it.  There are no indications of its
acceptance or rejection in the last 3 years.

http://anubis.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n1643/n1643.htm

I was very disappointed to see that their writing
system is single byte, and has almost our alphabet.
However, since Klingon fonts are available, we
should be able to output it within ReportLab
by the end of the year.  Look right at the bottom of
http://babel.uoregon.edu/yamada/fonts.html

Not sure whether I want to support a million
trekkies in our user group.

Andy Robinson
CEO and Chief Architect, ReportLab Inc.