[python-uk] Last Thursday's meet - roll call.

Simon Brunning python-uk@python.org
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 11:48:32 +0100

Jon,

Prototype of the meet date function:

import mx.DateTime

def getNextBoozeupDate(relativeDate=None):
    """Return the date of the next Python South-East UK booze up as an
mx.DateTime.DateTime object."""

    relativeDate = relativeDate or mx.DateTime.today()

    thisMonthsBoozeupDate = getMonthsBoozeupDate()
    if thisMonthsBoozeupDate >= today:
        return thisMonthsBoozeupDate

    nextMonthsBoozeupDate = getMonthsBoozeupDate(month=today.month+1)
    return nextMonthsBoozeupDate

def getMonthsBoozeupDate(year=0, month=0):
    """Return the date of the Python South-East UK booze up in a given month
as an mx.DateTime.DateTime object.
    Optional parameters year and month default to the current date."""

    today = mx.DateTime.today()
    year = year or today.year
    month = month or today.month

    boozeupDate = mx.DateTime.DateTimeFrom(year=year, month=month) +
mx.DateTime.RelativeDateTime(weekday=(mx.DateTime.Thursday, 2))

    if boozeupDate.day == 8:
        boozeupDate = boozeupDate - 7

    return boozeupDate

if __name__ == '__main__':
    print getNextBoozeupDate()

Needs a bit of testing, and I'll also wrap it up in a CGI, along with a
venue generator. For this, I'd like 12 suggested venues, with a URL for
each. A couple more near Paddington, perhaps one in Reading and another in
Oxford, one in South London near the Reportlab boys, that sort of thing. I
can come up with a list if need be, but suggestions would be welcome.

Well, I only need 10 actually, 'cos Chris and I found one good place -
<http://www.cubana.co.uk/main.phtml>, and I know South London pubs rather
*too* well.

Cheers,
Simon Brunning