[python-uk] Re: UK Python Conference 2004- pre-announcement

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu Feb 5 11:40:31 EST 2004

"Tim Diggins" <subscribed at red56.co.uk> writes:

> Hi Andy and others,
>
> as a new-comer, or non-comer, to Python conferences [to date, at
> least], and a previous lurker on this list, can I ask a few
> questions -
>
> Despite the name of the overall conf. - the Python strand isn't primarily
> for C developers of python, right?

Corrent.

> The paper titles look interesting and very python-centric.

Certainly my talk (should I sort out my life enough to actually make
it to the con) will not assume any knowledge of C...

> Also, is this list a reasonable one for putting out calls for
> assistance whether (a) python subcontractors or (b) python
> specific-area consultants/mentors - or is there a better place for
> that?

Well, there's also the general python-list, but no, I think this list
is pretty good for that.

> Also (while I'm in the flow of asking questions), I'm scrabbling
> around for a replacement UI simulation-building (prototyping) tool
> (I'm a UI/Interaction designer most of the time and I've am
> dissatisfied by my previous and current tools (Director, Photoshop,
> Illustrator, Powerpoint, and hand-rolling various programmatic
> solutions) and was wondering whether anyone had any pointers on
> papers or reviews of python-based prototyping / rapid development
> frameworks - (like BoaConstructor/Pype/PythonCard) so I can balance
> them against the graphical-ease / designer-focus of things like
> Flash (or Norpath Studio Elements, or Director for that
> matter). (Ultimately I'm looking for a protoyping holy grail, but at
> least I know that). Any pointers or comments useful.

Well, you could buy a mac and play with PyObjC, but I'm not sure you
wanted to hear that :-)

Cheers,
mwh

--
  MARVIN:  Oh dear, I think you'll find reality's on the blink again.