[python-uk] RE: User interface prototyping tools

Alan James Salmoni alansalmoni at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 5 16:19:34 EST 2004

> Also (while I'm in the flow of asking questions), I'm scrabbling around for
> a replacement UI simulation-building (prototyping) tool (I'm a
> UI/Interaction designer most of the time and I've am dissatisfied by my
> previous and current tools (Director, Photoshop, Illustrator, Powerpoint,
> and hand-rolling various programmatic solutions) and was wondering whether
> anyone had any pointers on papers or reviews of python-based prototyping /
> rapid development frameworks - (like BoaConstructor/Pype/PythonCard) so I
> can balance them against the graphical-ease / designer-focus of things like
> Flash (or Norpath Studio Elements, or Director for that matter).
> (Ultimately
> I'm looking for a protoyping holy grail, but at least I know that). Any
> pointers or comments useful.

Hi Tim,

This may seem like a curious answer, but there is a PyGame "extra" called
Pyzzle (http://pyzzle.sourceforge.net/). What this does is allow people to
write games (using Python, natch) like Myst and Riven. You can incorporate
graphics, videos, sounds, have mouse hotspots and so on, but I think it could
be an enormously powerful tool for UI design. I recommend downloading the
demo game to give it a whirl, then just imagine the graphics of the room
replaced with a prototype interface.

I haven't looked in detail at the programming side of things, but it seems to
be quite straightforward Python stuff, though a RAD designer would make it
quite powerful indeed. Of course, UI design is not what it was designed for,
but hey, if it works?

Alan.

=====
Alan James Salmoni